Surcharging is an option to pass the cost of payment processing on to your customer. For example, if there is a payment of $100, and your transaction cost is 3%, you would add a $3 surcharge for the payment.
There are several items to consider before you enable surcharging for your organization.
- Surcharging only applies to credit card payments. Debit card and eCheck transactions are prohibited from surcharging.
- The surcharge must not exceed your cost of acceptance for the credit card and has a hard cap of 3%.
- The surcharge percentage must be the same across all card brands (cannot charge more for one card brand than you do for another). Also, if you utilize surcharges, you must assess the surcharge across all card brands (cannot exclude certain card brands).
- Credit card surcharge permissions may vary by state, regulatory, or card network rules. Contact a tax professional or your local government for further guidance on whether your area permits surcharges.
To enable surcharging, you will need to determine the following. Once you have that information, you will submit a ticket to Support with the subject line of “Enable Surcharging.”
- The % rate that you want to charge.
- Reminder that the surcharge must not exceed your cost acceptance for the credit card or be more than 3%.
- This rate will be applied to all card brands (cannot exclude certain brands).
- AR Category to track surcharges.
- Best practice is to create a new AR Category called “Surcharge.” How do I configure AR Categories?
When surcharging is enabled and a customer goes through checkout or makes a payment on the Registration Site, this is their experience.
- Fill out the information during Checkout and select Continue to Review.
- The summary will be presented again with the Surcharge displayed. Select Pay to complete the checkout process.
- The surcharge is displayed on the Spots Saved screen.
When you are making a payment in CT6, if a credit card is used, the Surcharge will be added during the Verification step.
Surcharges are also displayed under Accounting.
Surcharges are also displayed under Payment Details.
You can also view Surcharges under Payment Search.
How do I see how much I have surcharged?
- You can run the query Payment – Surcharge to see a record of surcharges.
Are surcharges added for Scheduled Payments?
- Yes, when a Scheduled Payment using a credit card is processed, the surcharge will be added.
What reports include surcharges?
- The following global reports have been updated to include surcharges when they are present. If you have customized any of these reports, please submit a ticket to Support to update.
Statement – Child
Statement – Family
Statement – Group
Statement – Guest Group
Statement – Individual
Batch Statements – Child
Family Statement (Date Range)
Registration Letter – Group
Registration Letter – Child
Registration Letter – Family
Registration Letter – Individual